Exercise is usually thought of as a way to get your body in shape, but most exercise is actually good for your mind, body, and spirit, allowing you to slim down, feel an increase in confidence and energy, and de-stress and relax. While most exercise is beneficial, there is one type of exercise, in particular, that is specifically designed to strengthen your core muscles while working on your inner mind and spirit to create a whole, balanced person. This exercise is yoga. But before you run out and buy a skidless yoga towel or non-slip yoga mat, read on to find out all of the amazing benefits of this ancient practice.
Yoga is a system of practices, both mental and physical, that is meant to be incorporated into your life to promote balance and harmony both within yourself and within your environment. When most people think of yoga, they envision someone on a sticky yoga mat performing various pretzel-like poses, but yoga actually encompasses body movement along with deep breathing exercises, meditation and relaxation of the muscles.
Yoga actually promotes a strong connection between the three aspects of body, mind and spirit, and it has been scientifically proven to increase flexibility, reduce stress, and decrease pain and inflammation in the body. And yoga is so easy on your body, that almost anyone can do it at some level, to reap the benefits of its practice. So grab your skidless yoga towel or your non-slip yoga mat and get these benefits for your body, mind and spirit:
• Increases strength, tone, and flexibility
• Balances metabolism
• Increases energy and vitality
• Promotes heart health and healthy blood pressure
• Reduces pain and inflammation
• Helps you look and feel younger
• Induces relaxation and stress relief
• Helps you calm and quiet your mind
• Increases self-acceptance and positive self-talk
• Helps you focus your energy toward positive creation
• Increases awareness of the body, of inner emotions and of the people around you
• Helps the body, mind and spirit all work together for your common good
• Helps you feel as one with your body, the world and others around you
Plus, to reap the benefits of yoga, you don’t have to have a lot of fancy, space consuming equipment. A book or DVD (like Tony Horton yoga) about the different practices, a sticky yoga mat or skidless yoga towel and a little bit of time and patience are all you need.
Have you experienced body, mind and spirit transformations with yoga? Let me know in the comments below!